Thursday, 21 August 2014

Currently

This is a currently link up with Ot and Et and Harvesting Kale who every week provide inspiration in the form of 5 words. This week, the words are calling, lighting, making, watching, planning.

Last night we went calling on some friends who have just this minute moved here from hundreds of miles away where we didn't see enough o them. In fact we've never been near enough to see enough of them. They've lived in the Netherlands and New Zealand and Birmingham and Devon, and so it's only right that now they are here. Then we called on Goldie's football coach to sign things and pay things. That whole season of weekends being given over to training and matches is starting again, and I need to get my head round it. I can see it as a gross erosion of my free time, or I can celebrate the huge benefits it has for Goldie, and our luck that possibly the only feminist, vegetarian, atheist, green voting football coach in East Anglia found us and has put so much in to his teams development over the last 3 years.

We are back to the very beautiful Suffolk coast tonight, the girl and I. We were there last weekend, and we left Goldie there with Ms M and her two in a lovely barn they have rented. It's close enough for us to go back over today and soak up a bit more wild, and help pack up and get everyone home tomorrow. And while I'm there I'm hoping for a cloudless night, so I can make the most of the (nearly) zero light pollution, and see the stars lighting up the sky. I tried when we were there before, but that time lying on my back in a field just got me a wet back, and a bruised knee from walking into a low wall on my way back to the barn. Please no clouds tonight.

All week I've been making lots of plans at work for a project I've been asked to be involved in, and now we have a date to put it to my team and ask for their involvement and cooperation. It's exciting and scary and could go horribly wrong. I think it has the potential to be amazing, at the same time though I'm hyper aware of how much we're putting our staff through - increased demand, slashed resources, tough daily emotional slog trying to keep people safe and do the right thing. It's hard to convince them that THIS could work, let's make ANOTHER change.

I have been watching the longest film in the world ever. Except not, actually, but still, 3 hours is too long, isn't it? Snake persuaded me along to the Arts Picturehouse to watch a 70's film he remembered with great fondness, called O Lucky Man! It was clever and shocking and sort of beautiful and compulsive, but I'd been counting on getting home by 9.30 to get another bit of the bathroom painted before bed. I feel I should have been told the level of commitment required before I entered the cinema.

We're not doing the planning, but next weekend we're going to The Royal Festival Hall to a huge wedding of many many couples, and this week we received the plans in the post. It looks very, very good. Some friends are going to get married along with several hundred others in a big, camp celebration of equal marriage laws. There will be all manner of dancing and frolics and I intend to throw myself into the opportunity to be in the middle of what should be a very joyful party.

Next week themes are needing, missing, reading, hoping, playing.

8 comments:

  1. We're about to begin our running as well. Band competitions every Saturday, football (American football) on every other Friday night, and basketball will start soon. Practices a few days a week for both band and basketball... I'm already exhausted. I have to consult the calendar before making my weekly meal plans to make sure that I schedule super simple meals for the days/nights we will be in a rush. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be thinking of you. For me it's only one child, and at the moment just football, although I think he'll be adding basketball at the first opportunity. And I'm attempting to bribe him to take a music class but saying I'll pay for teen gym membership if he does. He gets so much out of it and it's good for him and I love that he's in a team. He was so excited last night that he gets back to training today, and that's got to be good. Hope all your sports and activities go well!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of a cloudless night and watching the stars! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much cloud! But I woke at 5am the next morning and went down to the river to watch the sunrise and the birds and the seals, so had that wonder instead.

      Delete
  3. The wedding sounds amazing! What a great reason to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to it, such a good thing to celebrate!

      Delete
  4. When we were in our early 20s Rob took me to see a David Lynch film that was like 3 1/2 hours. It was at this old art house where the chairs were just falling apart, springs in your back, just the worst night of my life and the movie was so disjointed and epically artful that I lost all sense of time and space, never knowing if there were 3, 30, or 90 minutes left. And Rob was in paradise. He loved that stupid movie. It goes down as one of the worst things I've ever lived through.

    Your family always keeps so busy with a mix of friends, culture, nature. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is EXACTLY the sort of film Snake would want to sit through. And I know exactly that feeling of losing all hope and perspective. What are they seeing that we're not?

      Delete