Thursday, 28 August 2014

Currrently

This is a currently link up with Ot and Et and Harvesting Kale who every week provide inspiration in the form of 5 words. This week, the words are needing, missing, reading, hoping, playing.

I'm needing to find some emotional stability. I'm all over the place, out of sorts, grumpy and grouchy and horrible to be around. Except not all the time. But some of the time, at the moment, I'm just not as nice a person as I want to be. It's mainly my poor family that get it. I'm trying hard to shelter them from the worst of myself.

Earlier today I was listening to a song by The National (of course) with the line "I hope you don't remember me, and I hope you're not alone", about a lost love. There is someone who I would be happy not to remember me, someone who I don't ever really want to see again, but who I am still capable of missing in a strange way. I really just want to know that he's still alive. Also, missing a time when films were a sensible length. For the second time in a couple of weeks I went to the cinema last night thinking I'd be home at a reasonable hour, to find that I'd signed up for 3 hour film. Actually, last weeks film was a 1970's production so I cant even blame the modern age. Tonight we saw Boyhood. There's lots I could say but the main thing is, why boyhood? The stories of his mother and his sister were at least as compelling. Good though, I thought. if you happen to have a spare 3 hours.

I'm reading A Song for Issy Bradley by Carys Bray. Also, re-reading How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran for The Ladies Who Book Club and looking forward to The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton for the in the pub book group.

It's been cold the last few days. Even though this has been a good, hot summer by UK standards, I'm hoping for a bit more heat and a bit more light before winter. A warm September would be massively appreciated. And then I'm hoping for a good winter - proper cold, crisp light, some snow disruption.

I've been trying to imagine some of the jobs that need dong as playing, to make them more bearable. Painting the woodwork in the bathroom, with thick, gloopy paint. Shovelling handfuls of beanbag stuffing from the floor of  Goldie's bedroom. It's the level of absorption that changes, the engagement. And the potential for mess.

Next weeks themes are loving, craving, demanding, questioning, worrying.  


6 comments:

  1. I have one of those someones. Actually three of them, for different reasons. And I always think that someday, probably in very old age, I may reach out, but not sooner. The internet does make not stalking - every now and then - impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea...he really does seem to have disappeared. I hope he's not alone.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the length of movies. I read something recently that describes me perfectly, 'I'm "it's 8:30 and you're going to start a movie now?" years old.' I get excited when we find one that's 2 hours long!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely at that age. I'm terrible at watching anything at home, even with an hour long drama I fall asleep or wander away to do something else. With the cinema you're sort of committed though...but I will be checking length in future.

      Delete
  3. Um...bean bag pellets are sensory play? Ha, I don't know. That sounds rough, but I feel you. I'm constantly picking up toys (aren't we all?) and I wish there was a fun way to do it! Mary Poppins, where are you when I need you???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Bean bag pellets - I spent ages trying to think what they might be called, and that's it, of course. I know, desperation and delusion, just to get through the day!

      Delete